Saturday, February 16, 2008

A Relaxing Saturday


I do my best to take Saturdays as my day of rest each week.  Today, I'm spending the day watching old episodes of Monk, making granola, and enjoying mango tea (that I received as a Christmas gift from one of my students) brewed in the cool teapot Kirk gave me for Valentine's Day.

 


Granola Recipe

2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons oil (vegetable or canola)
1 tablespoon water
1 cup extra ingredients (such as died fruit, nuts, etc.)

Heat oven to 275*F with the rack in the middle position.  Coat a cookie sheet with cooking spray or butter.  Mix dry ingredients (except dried fruit).  Bring wet ingredients (including sugar and salt) to a simmer in a saucepan over low heat.  Drizzle over oat mixture and stir to combine.  Pour onto pan.  Squeeze cereal to form small clumps.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Stir in dried fruit.  Continue to bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.  Let cool.  Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.




2 comments:

Tina said...

Yum! I may have to make some again! Dad's still stuck on the Costco granola... Beautiful teapot! Kirk has great taste! (We've always known that, since he chose YOU!) Keep up the blogging - we check often!
Love you! Mom

Unknown said...

Hello, cousin! I just made some of this granola, and it's delicious. I used dried blueberries, almonds, coconut, and flax seed for the extra ingredients. Thanks for the great recipe! Next up, I think I'm going to try your apple/cranberry tart recipe. :)