Thursday, February 26, 2009

Quotes and Questions

Thursday was the big day when I told my students that I'm pregnant. At least one of them had already found out several weeks ago (although I'm still not entirely sure which co-worker spilled the beans), but did an excellent job of keeping quiet. I showed them the ultrasound pictures, which they though were pretty cool. The first big question was whether or not I would bring the baby to school so that they could see it. They were trying to figure out if they would be in school in July. Then, of course they all had an opinion as to whether it would be a boy or a girl. Here are some other fun quotes:

"You don't look pregnant!" :) Thanks!

"How much weight have you gained?" I explained that I didn't know, but that I had a doctor's appointment soon and would find out then. Several students then proceeded to get out the bathroom scale we use for math so that I could weigh myself.

"Do you think it will hurt when your baby comes out?" I answered, "Yes, but it will be okay." The student then quickly went back to her friends to report what I had said.

As soon as I told them, a couple of girls ran right up to touch my belly and say hi to the baby. I have a feeling that it will get touched a lot as it starts to show more.

That afternoon I helped my partner teacher by teaching her class while she did some individual assessments with students. She told the class that I would be their guest teacher, to which they were quick to add that my baby and I would be their teachers.

By the end of the day, they had shared the news with anyone and everyone. My students from last year were asking me if it was really true that I was having a baby and parents were congratulating me. I'm sure there will be many more fun questions and comments to come.

No comments: