Sunday, October 12, 2008

Football Sunday

Kirk and I are enjoying a relaxing Sunday afternoon watching football. After another 50+ hour week at work, it's especially nice to lay down on the couch for a while and rest. The dogs were quite happy about it as well. It's gotten much colder in the last two days, so we'll have to turn the heat on soon, which I'm not looking forward to doing. For now, a blanket will do. It's about time to get the long sleeved shirts and sweaters out too.

Kirk's Jaguars beat the local favorites, the Broncos, which was pretty fun. I had to follow the Packers online, but was happy that they beat the Seahawks. We played each other today in our fantasy league, so we were following that as well. In our last match up a few weeks ago, I won. The predicted scores had me ahead this time as well, but as the games progressed, my chances of winning dwindled quickly.

I was able to get quite a bit done on my report cards this weekend, which is great. I'll finish them next weekend and then give them to parents at conferences in a week and a half. It will be a relief when that's all done. I'm sure that conferences will go well, but there's just to much work to do to get ready for them and then two eleven hour days of talking.

Another thing I've been working on lately is reading our ridiculously long state ballot information booklet. Colorado has 14 amendments to the state constitution on the ballot this year and four referendum questions. Some of them I'm clearly for or against, but others are so hard to figure out and not as black or white. Plus there are a bunch of judges to decide whether to retain or not and several local ballot issues to consider. That's not even including all the candidates in the national, state, and local races! As Kirk and I were discussing some of this yesterday, I told him that we had better plan on having quite a bit of time when we go to cast our votes. We are certainly blessed to live in a free country where we have the right and freedom to vote, but I wonder how many people in Colorado (and I'm sure many other states) will not take the time to vote on some of these amendments, referendums, and judges because it takes so long to figure them out. I think that I will try to go vote early, because I really don't want to spend my birthday (which coincides with election day this year) thinking about it.

No comments: